`1` Romance worth killing for
Shattering Romantic Suspense
Author Websites
Elisabeth Naughton
Joan Swan
Linda Winfree
 
Author's Latest Releases









Coming Soon

AddThis Feed Button

 
Industry Blogs We Like
Agent Obscura
Anatomy of a Book Deal
Bookends Literary Agency Blog
The Bradford Bunch
Buzz, Balls & Hype
Jennifer Jackson, Literary Agent
The Knight Agency
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA Blog
Kristin Nelson, Literary Agent
Jenny Rappaport, Literary Agent
Miss Snark
Murder She Writes
Paperback Writer
Romancing The Blog
Running With Quills
Working Stiffs
Samhain Publishing
Wine Country Romance Writers, RWA
WriteMinded
 
Author Blogs We Like
Elisa Adams
Carol Burnside
Brenda Coulter
Tanya Holmes
Larissa Ione
Lydia Joyce
Elisabeth Naughton
Patti O'Shea
Edie Ramer
Kate Rothwell
Marissa Scott
Lynne Simpson
Amie Stuart
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Stephanie Tyler
Linda Winfree
 
Recommended Resources
Agent Query
Charlotte Dillon
Common Redundancies in Writing
Cop Talk--Karin Tabke
Crime in Mind
Cruisie/Mayer 2007 Online Workshop
Kiss of Death RWA Chapter
Publisher's Marketplace
Romance Agents
Romance Writers of America
 
Previous Blogs
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
 
What We're Working On Now

Elisabeth: Marked

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
33,126 / 95,000
(34.9%)



Joan: Buried Secrets

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
68,000 / 115,000
(59.1%)


Linda: Facing It

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
45,540 / 85,000
(53.6%)

:~: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 :~:

Got Chocolate?

Neither do I, but I want to give some away!!!

Well, actually, let's consider it a business deal: I need a tagline - a new one--fresh, intruiging, and representative of my work. I can't think of one. I will pay you in chocolate for creating one for me.

How could you turn that down?

I'll choose a winner on Febuary 14th (in addition to our other great contests for that day) -- for a gift basket/box of chocolates--retail value $40. If I take pieces of two entries suggestions, I'll give out two prizes--retail value of $20 each.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm in a promotion class via authorMBA. One of the heavier, more elusive topics is Author Branding. A major component of author branding is, you guessed it, the author tagline.

Linda's got: Sultry southern suspense
Elisabeth's got: Spellbinding romantic suspense
Edie's got: If you believe, magic will happen
Stella Cameron's got: Mystery that chills – passion that thrills
Elizabeth Lowell's got: Hard edged suspense with a passionate twist
Jennifer Apodaca's got: Dangerously romantic reading
Natalie Collins' got: Suspense fiction - Breaking open the closed Mormon world
Karin Tabke's got: Hot cops, sizzling passion
Alison Kent's got: The heat is on

Here are a few kernals of direction from the class:

"...your brand expands outward to encompass what you write. Your genre, your character types, etc. For example someone who writes about redemption through love is not sticking to their brand when they say all relationships are painful during an interview. You are trying to point to the things that redemption brings: hope, trust, love, etc. and hopefully show how you support those things. When Christina Skye says to people "Life is an adventure" she's conveying not only support for the genre in which her books are slotted (romantic suspense), but also to the very core of her brand being about the need to discover the inner potential in all of us or, boiled down, discover sustains us. "

So, here are some parameters:

  • I write romantic suspense -- about 50/50
  • My heros are from law enforcement backgrounds
  • My heroines are intelligent and strong with a soft core
  • My plots involve murder (sometimes multiple murders)
  • My theme always seems to involve trust as a core issue with one or both characters
  • Messages I want to convey to my reader about my work: Unique, rich characters, deep intruigue, sexy sex, sexual tension, emotional, satisfying
  • And, I'm planning on (someday over the rainbow) expanding my heros and heroines into firefighting careers

What do you think? Anyone game? I'm offering a nice goody from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. I can even customize it as sugar-free chocolate if you're so inclined. If not chocolate, there are gigantor caramel apples and a variety of fudges. Mouth watering yet? How about this...does this work?

Labels:

24Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

You are truly evil. Here I am, trying to be good, and I wake up to chocolate galore on the blog.

Great idea for a contest! Can't wait to see what people come up with. I'll be thinking on it all day even though I can't win the chocolate (which is probably a good thing...grumble, grumble...)

9:05 AM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

You had me at the chance for chocolate.
Here are my ideas,

"Trust in the Law of Love."

"Sometimes Love brings Handcuffs"

"Murder can be sexy."

"Up-all-night sexy suspense"

I may have some others for you later!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

Oooh, I like "Up all night sexy suspense"!

I'm with E, waiting with bated breath for the entries . . .

1:34 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Okay, these are lame...

Spine-tingling Romantic Suspense

The Pulse of Romance (although this would be better if you wrote medical RS).

Romantic Suspense That Burns Or Romantic Suspense So Hot It Burns- you could have a graphic of a sexy firefighter and flames shooting up behing him.

Where Suspense and Romance Collide

I was going to add Flaming Romantic Suspense for your firefighters but I think that might indicate a gay romance, LOL, and since you don't write that, we'll just nix that one.

This is hard!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Wow, some great ones already!

So far I'm liking: Up-all-night sexy suspense, Where Suspense and Romance Collide, romance with grit, love suspense style.

Keep 'em coming!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Fun contest!

I can only think of one:

Romance to die for

I'll try to think of more. :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle Diener said...

I'll have to think about it, Joan. My brain has to mull these things over :).

10:17 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ooh, I love that one, Edie!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I googled "Romance to die for". It seemed so good I thought someone else might be using it. I found out Amazon uses it for something, probably their RS books, but I didn't see another writer using it as a brand.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Suspense served with sizzling sex.

Suspense, sizzling sex, and satisfaction.

Passion for justice and love

Hope this sparks some ideas!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Whoo-hoo, girls! Those are some good ones.

Edie---ROTFL---as I'm trying to think of taglines I think --Romance worth killing for. Dang-it's the only one I like,(that's before this contest of course) but :-) already taken.

The romance to die for is along the same lines.

Hmmm, getting some really good brains together here!!

I also like the way Paty combined suspense and sizzle and sex. The S's used like that are a rhetorical device I can't name at the moment, but one the instructor of this class I'm taking suggested using because it's easier for people to remember.

If anyone thinks of any more you can enter as many possibilities as you want!!

Thanks!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

If you wrote chick litty suspense, I'd suggest "Sex and Suspensibility." *g*

Here's another variation of my previous line:

"Romance to kill for"

8:44 PM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You want something that'll stick in the brain and point right back to you (Yeah, and how does West of Mars point back to me unless you know me?)

Joan Swan -- Romantic suspense is not an ugly duckling.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Into The Deep (referring to danger, intrigue, sex) or maybe In Too Deep.

Let Me Take Control

In Control

Fire Me Up

All Fired Up

Hot and Bothered By Law

2:30 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Hey Maria,

Thanks for the suggestions--all have great possibilities. I'm adding them to the list and will be picking a winner (or winners) on Valentine's Day. Feel free to add more if you think of any.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Hi Joan, I thought I'd add a few more, I'm having fun thinking them up.

Taking The Law Into Her Hands...
Sexy by Law, Sexy By Nature
You Have The Right To Remain Sexy
Spice Up Your Life
Suspense in the Name of the Law

8:02 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

LOL, Maria -- you're pretty good at this. :-)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

Me again,

Sex, Lies and Handcuffs

You can tell I really like chocolate can't you?:)

12:22 PM  
Blogger AnnaC said...

Joan,
I love this idea... I have passed your request on to the readers of my blog. Here's the post:
http://artloversmysteries.blogspot.com/2007/02/pre-valentines-day.html

12:18 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

WOW, Hailey!! That's AWESOME!!!

Looking forward to the feedback. I'm going to post it again now at RWCList--I didn't follow their rules last Sunday, so it didn't get advertised. :-(

I'm picking a winner/winners on Feb 14th!

Thanks for passing it along!

6:05 PM  
Blogger CJ Lyons said...

Hi Joan! Just had to play along!

How about:
Love worth dying for -or-
Love worth killing for -or-
Love you'd risk anything for

Fun game!
CJ (who took weeks to come up with her own tagline: No one is immune to danger....)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Aunt Gracie said...

OK, here's my take.
Hard men, strong women ... and murder at the heart.

6:36 PM  
Blogger CJ Lyons said...

Ha! This is so much fun, I thought of a few more...plus chocolate is a great motivator!

How about:

Crimes of passion -or-

Romance that will steal your breath away -or-

Love so hot, it's a crime

I was trying to play with swans mating for life, but everything turned into double entendres that I don't think you want, lol!

Thanks for letting me play!
CJ

7:11 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

Gracio -- Hard men, strong women...I like it!

CJ -- your tag line is perfect for your work! Impressive. I'm looking for the same fit, and you've put up several nice lines!

Great additions to the list of possibles.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home